Wednesday 31 December 2014

2014 in hindsight: Everything else

Best reads
Dmitry Glukhovsky’s Metro 2033 and Metro 2034. Sure, they have their problems at times, but overall, it’s the most fascinating world in any book I have encountered for a very long time.
The pacing is pretty uneven and the author could really use being introduced of the principle of Chekhov's gun, but still: This is one of he best reads ever for me.

Worst reads
Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan’s The Strain trilogy. I like Guillermo del Toro’s movies. Especially Pan’s Labyrinth was awesome. You would think this sort of pedigree in a book would produce something awesome too, but no. This was just plain bad.
First of all, it stinks of American author with boring, lengthy and completely pointless descriptions of the characters actions and pasts. [Bleep] that. I don’t need to have my characters motivation served on a silver platter like that: I want to be able to decipher them through their current thoughts and actions. This is such an American author thing and I think it should be banned. Ugh.
Second of all, it tries to bring a legitimate medical and scientific approach to explain the supernatural vampire-thing. And it fails so hard that it hurts.
Yea, this was so bad I only got through the first half of the first book. Unfortunately we bought the trilogy. Total waste of money.

Best TV
Metalocalypse. I randomly watched an episode and was instantly hooked just a minute in. It pretty much managed to become my favourite show ever after just a few episodes. This show is absolutely hilarious, weird, entertaining and the music is so awesome.
This show deserves more love!

Worst TV
The Lone Gunmen. Hubby got me the series on DVD for last Christmas and I’ve been slowly chewing my way through them. I was so excited when I first got it, especially when Hubby told me how difficult it had been to get a copy. He couldn’t even get a version with European-friendly subtitles!
You have to admit it smells a bit funny how they “predicted” 9/11 and then the show was cancelled, right?
Yea. No. The show is just plain bad. Bad writing, uninteresting stories, the most irritating and stereotypical bad girl/Mary Sue in TV history, the most irritating and stereotypical stupid blonde guy sidekick in TV history… Bleh.

Best music
Dethklok! The fictional band from Metalocalypse. Bought all the albums and love them.

Worst music
Ugh, so much bad music clogging up the airwaves this year. Luckily I haven’t bought any albums I’ve ended up disliking. I think the point has to go to Nicki Minaj’s Anaconda for slaughtering a fun classic.

Best purchase
My new Sony MP3 player. I love this thing and it was so awesome to replace that irritating ipod!
It makes me smile every time I turn it off and it goes "See you later!". 
Damn straight. I will see you later.
*Puts on Sennheiser headphones again*

Worst purchase
My camera. When I used my phone, I would usually just take 3 pictures and use the best one when I transferred them to a computer. Taking 3 pictures with my camera will usually leave me with 3 useless pictures. When it works, it works a lot better than my phone, that's true. But the camera is incredibly temperamental and I now take 7 pictures of everything, just to make sure one is good.
I know I went for something simple, a point-and-click camera, but damn. It really gets on my nerves some times. The consistent "good enough" of my phone seems more attractive some times when I'm going through my pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment