Tuesday 26 January 2016

Hair food

Since I’m trying to lose some weight, I thought it could be fun to make some blog posts about food. After all, good “hair food” is basically healthy and often low calorie.

So, what makes good hair food?
  • Hair needs protein
  • Hair needs good oils
  • Hair needs vitamins
  • Hair needs minerals

Basically, whatever is good for skin, nails and your body in general, is good for hair too.

Hair doesn’t need carbs or the bad fats, unless you go so low in calorie-intake that your body transforms your valuable protein for energy, so low calorie is the way to go.

The first “hair food” I will show is my own stir fry recipe.
It’s been one of my diet stables since my “I’m in university and lives off beer and ramen” days.
It can actually be done fairly healthy as I’m about to demonstrate. Not bad for a 10 minute comfort food!

So, without further explanation: My extremely bastardized stir-fry recipe... 

The ingredients are: A pack of ramen, a handful of vegetables and/or meat and one egg.
The dish is always unique from time to time because it depends on what I kind of noodles I have and what vegetables or meat I have.
(Back in university, I loved cabbage with this: It’s dirt cheap, a little goes a long way and that stuff seriously never spoils)

My ingredients this time are:
  • 1 egg
  • 1 pack (83 gram) of shrimp flavoured noodles
  • 100 g broccoli
  • 100 g prawns
  • 50 g fried tofu
  • Bit of onion and garlic

Egg contains protein and lots of vitamins and minerals
Broccoli contains vitamin C and iron and is good for skin health
Prawns contains omega 3, are low calorie and full of protein
Tofu is high in protein and iron and is even said to boost hair growth

Noodles are probably not good for anything.


Pick your noodle pack apart. This particular brand comes with 4 little packs of oil and flavouring bouillon, paste and dried vegetables. 
Take the little pack with flavoured oil and use it for cooking your vegetables and meat.


Vegetables and tofu chopped up and ready to cook in the noodle packs flavouring oil.


While the vegetables and tofu cooks, prepare the noodles as the pack says.
Do not add any of the flavouring packs to this.


Add the prawns. Cook for a bit.


Add the drained noodles.


Add the egg.


Now you add the little spice-packs to the dish.
Let everything cook until the egg is done.



Done.


Makes for two portions. 
(I added a bit of spring onion to the finished dish, mostly because it looks nice)

Nutritional value:
  • 50 g tofu = 140 calories and 11 g protein
  • 100 g prawns = 100 calories and 21 g protein
  • 100 g broccoli = 34 calories and 3 gram protein
  • 1 egg = 70 calories and 6 gram protein
  • The noodle package with all the spices= 360 calories and 8 g protein

That makes the entire dish 704 calories and 49 g protein.
Since we split it, half a portion is only 352 calories and 24,5 g protein.
(I have not calculated the bit of garlic, onion and spring onion, but how many calories could that possibly add?)

Not bad for quick comfort food?

1 comment:

  1. One suggestion--I am not a ramen noodle fan--never got into that kick, but other friends have. I'd substitute the ramen for regular capallini noodles due to the high sodium content in the ramen noodles. Just a thought---the problem with sodium (too much) as it retains water and that can make you up to 5 pds heavier.

    But you are 100% on for healthy diet/hair. This is why so many people who crash diet will lose hair---they are basically starving their bodies---I'm thinking of morbidly obese people who get gastric bypass.

    Why is it so hard to diet and so easy to gain weight? ;)
    You're an inspiration! I'm trying to stick to my diet too and eating more veggies/fruit.

    ReplyDelete